So I’ve been working on a new novel, and that got me thinking about the way I approach writing. Which is basically write, edit, write, edit… and so on until I’m happy with it. But there are some rules I try to stick to. And, since everyone likes list, I thought I’d share them.
- Make every sentence, and everything in it, unambiguous
- Map every ramification of the ideas in the story
- Leave no holes in the plot for the story to escape through
- Get the details right (and that means research)
- The resolution should always be a consequence of the actions of one or more characters
So, there you go. A sure-fire recipe for success at writing. You heard it here first.